By Nancy Alexander, PT
About a month ago, I slowed down my pace a bit. Earlier this year I was working part time, growing my business, planning a major fundraising event, writing a book, yada yada yada. You get the picture. I couldn’t think straight. I put off so many things. And I couldn’t get to things I really wanted to do. My house was a mess. I was spread too thin. Time for a change… or really a major overhaul. I loved what I was doing but I wanted to focus more on where my heart was. I want to do a few things well , not a lot of things mediocre.
Today, I’ve downsized to growing my business and publishing my first book. I’m also taking more time for me. I think summertime is the perfect time to do this. So here we go…
16 ways to decompress, recharge and renew
- Clean – I mean really clean, top to bottom. Target a room and have at it. So maybe I’m just a little late with my spring cleaning. Still feels great.
- Declutter – my home office featured a white folding table which was completely covered with stacks of file folders on it. Bookshelves were crammed with items I couldn’t find a home for. I could not see the top of my desk. This was also covered with folders, with additional loose pieces of paper and Post-it notes. Oh, the Post-it notes. The number of Post-it notes stuck everywhere is directly proportional to the clutter in my head. Not any more. Files not needed are now stored neatly in bins under the table or in a storage closet. Ones I do need frequently are more organized together in two bins on the table. I reach into these daily. I have more space to work now and my head doesn’t feel so cluttered now either.
- Morning coffee on the deck – or back patio depending on the heat. The only noise I hear are the birds and I’m learning what kind they are by their song.
- Sit outside and read – I do this later in the day in my comfy chair under the deck and out of the hot sun. I enjoy a cool drink and travel to wherever my book takes me.
- Exercise – I have a stationary bike and a treadmill. I do some cardio, core work and stretch every day. Stretching is like dessert – a treat I give myself.
- Play golf – a great way to be outside while exercising. Still looking for my first birdie this year.
- Meet a friend for lunch – love catching up with friends to see what they are up to. I do this about once a week. It’s one of my new favorite things.
- Have fun in the kitchen – meal prep for the week. I like to try new recipes. Fun, fun.
- Use herbs and tomatoes – from my deck garden to make healthier meals.
- Journal – I imagineer my dreams every single morning.
- Write – my book or my blog. Just write. Writing helps me make sense of my life.
- Pull weeds – very therapeutic. I have several perennial gardens and love to get out there and pull the weeds or prune back old flowers. Pruning trees is one of my favorite things to do.
- Ride my bike – my dad used to say when I was a kid I rode my bike all the time… everywhere. I’m getting back on it.
- Fire pit – I love sitting by the fire pit with my husband after dark on a cool summer night. Listening to music. Looking up at the stars and identifying them.
- Travel – get out of dodge so to say. Even for a day… a change of scenery does wonders for the mind.
- Meditate – Just be… enjoy the moment. Be more mindful. Create a grateful heart in just minutes.
There you go… 16 ways to renewal. What are some of your ways?
Make it a great summer!!